MEDICAL LAB TECHNICAN
Responsibilities The Registered Medical Laboratory Technician performs only those laboratory tests for which
they are authorized under the CLIA ?88 regulations.
The MLT may work up to 3 months with limited
job duties prior to obtaining the MLT License.
These tests are used in the diagnosis and
treatment of disease and include specimen processing, test performance and maintaining of
These tests are performed under supervision of the Medical Technologist.
1. Exercises professional judgement in evaluation of specimen integrity, result accuracy and validity and take
corrective action when necessary
Direct observation of routine patient test performance, patient identification and preparation; specimen
collection as applicable, handling, processing, and testing.
3. Monitoring the recording and reporting of test results, calling critical results, calling STAT?s as applicable
and faxing results as requested.
4. Review of test results, worksheets, quality control records, proficiency testing results, and preventative
5. Direct observation of performance of instrument maintenance and function checks.
6. Assessment of test performance through testing previously analyzed specimens, internal blind testing, and
samples of external proficiency testing samples.
7. Evaluation of problem solving skills.
8. Performs quality control samples to ensure accuracy of test results and other pertinent quality control
procedures in accordance with established criteria.
9. Analyzes patient samples according to approved policy/procedures of testing.
10. Maintains equipment to ensure accurate, consistent results in the performance of tests.
11. Assists in the orientation of new staff and students as requested.
12. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the ages of the patient
13. Follow standards of safety dictated by the laboratory, the hospital, and regulatory agencies.
14. Participates in continuing education programs and hospital learn assignments in the timeframe required
Contributes to the efficient operation of the laboratory.
16. Participates in the departmental competency program that includes specimen collection as applicable,
handling, processing, and testing.
17. Maintains confidentiality of patients, department, and hospital related information according to established
18. Complies with all hospital personnel policies and procedures; participates in all required departmental and
hospital educational inservices within the required timeframe, assumes responsibility for needing posted
19. Continually makes best use of time during their shift and assumes responsibility for communicating pertinent
information with co-workers, coordinating lunch breaks in a manner which meets the needs of the laboratory.
20. Perform other duties as requested.
Qualifications Associate degree in medical technology.
MLT (ASCP) or equivalent. Licensed as an MLT by the Tennessee State Board of Health within 3 months of employment
NOTICE This position requires a criminal background check.
Therefore, you may be required to provide information about your criminal history in order to be considered for this position.
Additional Information Requisition ID: 2020-R0283735
Schedule: Full-time Market: CHI Health
We are excited to share that CHI was named as one of America?s Best Employers 2019, by Forbes.
Click here to learn more. Chances are, you?re here because you?re looking for a career offering greater opportunity, challenge and fulfillment.
We?re confident you?ll find all three at CHI.
As one of the nation?s largest nonprofit health systems, we offer a wealth of careers across more than 101 hospitals in 18 states.
Our faith-based health system welcomes you to share in our mission of building healthier communities, whether as a surgeon in the operating room or an administrator in a conference room.
When you work in a supportive environment with like-minded professionals, wonderful things happen.
Learn More Equal Opportunity Employment
Consistent with our Core Values, Catholic Health Initiatives employers are EEO/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled Employers.
Qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected characteristic
About this company
Memorial Health Care System is a not-for-profit, faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to the healing ministry of the Church. Founded by the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth and strengthened as part of Catholic Health Initiatives, it offers a continuum of care including preventative, primary and acute hospital care, as well as cancer and cardiac care, orthopedic and rehabilitation services. Memorial is a regional referral center of choice with 4,000 associates and more than 700 affiliated physicians providing health care throughout Southeast Tennessee and North Georgia. Memorial Health Care System is recognized as one of the nation's 100 Top Hospitals® by Thomson Reuters, the health care industry's leading source of information on hospital quality.
Location/Region: Chattanooga, TN (37404)