Newspaper/Magazine Page Designer
The Chattanooga Times Free Press is seeking a full-time Page Designer to work on multiple sections of the daily newspaper and occasionally contribute to the design of three magazines.
The right candidate must be able to build attractive, well-organized pages in a fast-paced newsroom, and also be a capable copy editor. Other requirements include:
- Skills in copy editing and the ability to design compelling pages and packages on a daily deadline are required.
- Experience designing a variety of sections (including national and local news, business and sports, as well as feature sections, such as food and life) is preferred.
- Must be able to take art direction.
- Have strong written and verbal skills.
- Capability to team collaborate closely with other designers and editors.
- Design Programs: Knowledge of InDesign, with proficiency in Photoshop. Illustrator is a plus.
- Basic knowledge of AP style and the ability to proof are necessary.
- The designer must be able to articulate reasons for design decisions and take initiative to think outside the box.
Schedule: This position will include evenings and weekend work. This is not a remote position.
Experience: At least two years of experience in publication design is preferred. Recent college graduates with proven ability and strong portfolios will be considered.
The Times Free Press is a successful mid-sized paper that can take your career to the next level. We have a news hole that would be envied by most papers, and our printing press allows color on almost every page. With tools like these, forward-thinking design is a top priority.
Chattanooga is a city on the rise. It’s one of the top outdoor destinations in the country with a growing, thriving downtown and has been a magnet for big industry in recent years. The city is within a convenient two-hour drive to Atlanta, Nashville and Knoxville.
When you apply, resume will be required. Please place the words “Page Designer” as a subject line on your resume. Qualified candidates will be contacted for samples of your newspaper and/or magazine work, references and other relative information.